I am all about saving money, but then who isn’t? Rather than go out and buy cleaner for my make-up brushes I decided to venture out onto Pinterest and search for a DIY recipe. There are a ton to choose from but I found a couple that looked similar so I decided to try it out.
Here is what you’ll need:
- Alcohol (and I’m not talking about the tequilla kind of alcohol 😉 )
- Leave-in Conditioner
- And a jar or bottle to mix it in.
Oh and your dirty brushes…of course. 😉
Here is how you want to mix it all together:
- Pour one (1) cup of water into the mixing jar
- Add in a quarter of a (1/4) cup of alcohol (this serves as the disinfectant)
- Add a 1/2 tablespoon of dish soap
- Add a 1/2 tablespoon of shampoo
- Add one (1) tablespoon of leave-in conditioner, this helps condition the bristles
- Gently and slowly stir the mixture
Once mixed, transfer the cleaner to the empty bottle
Now for my review on this DIY concoction:
- Unfortunately this mixture didn’t work as well as I would have hoped. I felt that I needed to add more soap to actually get that deep clean I was hoping for.
- On a positive note, this smelt really nice and my brushes smell wonderful long after cleaning them with this DIY brush cleaner.
- I am considering pouring this into a spray bottle and using it as a daily brush cleaner. Just add a spritz on a paper towel and rub your brush back and forth to get any dark shadow off.
I am still on the search for a good, deep cleaning DIY brush cleaner. What will I try next? This one looks a little interesting.
Do you guys buy or make your own brush cleaner? Any tips or tricks you would like to share?