As you peruse your stash of makeup, looking for the perfect eyeliner to compliment today’s look, do you ever wonder if some of the ‘older’ items are still okay to use or if it is (GOD FORBID) time to toss?
As much as we may hate to admit it, beauty products do have a shelf life. UGH!!! Why can’t they just last forever? Is that too much to ask??? 😉 Expiration dates just ruin my life!
So as I sit here and saulk, here is a handy-dandy list detailing how long you should keep certain items. Side note: this isn’t written in stone and may vary based on who you ask but it is a good estimate.
- Concealer Up to 12 months.
- Powder 2 years.
- Cream & gel cleansers 1 year.
- Pencil eye liner Should be sharpened regularly. Will last up to 3 years.
- Eyeshadow Will also last up to 3 years.
- Brushes Wash every 2-3 months in a mild detergent.
- Sponges Wash weekly and discard monthly.
- Foundation Check the ingredients: A water-based foundation will last up to 12 months, oil-based will last up to 18 months.
- Lip liner Up to 3 years.
- Lipstick Some experts say 1-2 years. Others say up to 4 years. What everyone agrees on is that if it smells rancid, throw it out, it’s spoiled.
- Mascara Throw out after 4 months.
- Nail Polish Up to 12 months.
Now that we have a general guideline, be sure to go through and toss those items that have fallen off the radar for far too long. Don’t fret, there is a silver lining to cleaning up your makeup stash…this creates more space for new liners, shadows, concelers…woooo hooo 🙂
Stay tuned for some Friday Funnies to launch us into this fantabulous weekend.